Kim Young-kwon “My goal is treble… I play to not leave any regrets about soccer”
What Ulsan Hyundai coach Hong Myung-bo emphasizes the most is ‘winning mentality’ before tactics and individual skills. Kim Young-kwon is a representative player who understands the attitude of a winner, ‘Hong Ja-al’.
I had a phone interview with Kim Young-kwon on the 10th. Kim Young-kwon played full-time during Ulsan’s 6-game winning streak in the Hana One Q K League 1 2023. In the meantime, he went to the national team and was congratulated for joining the Century Club. Talking with Kim Young-kwon, I was able to hear not only the beginning of the season smoothly, but also the secret to Ulsan becoming stronger, the goal of winning three crowns this year, and the mindset of a father who does not want to imagine his daughter dating. 안전놀이터
– This year, the AFC Champions League (ACL) starts in the second half, so there is still room in the league schedule. However, Kim Young-kwon is one of the only four players in Ulsan who played full-time, and the national team also played full-time in both games. It’s been a difficult time
Condition is still fine. The schedule is always busy with the AFC Champions League (ACL) around this time of year, but this year, the ACL starts in the second half, so I have time. It’s time to make up for our team’s problems.
– The performance shown in the K-League seems to be steady. Now that you are 33 years old, what are you doing to maintain and develop your skills?
It may be a very personal story, but the older I get, the stronger I feel that I will not leave any regrets about soccer. I want to leave a memory that I worked hard even when I thought about it in the distant future. So rather work harder. Passionately immersed in football. I don’t want to be stared at by people around me saying, ‘I’m getting older and I’m sagging.’ Maybe that’s why I keep my skills well. Of course, our children are also an important motivator.
– What efforts do you make to maintain your skills even after becoming a veteran?
I have a personal trainer. From the diet to the lack of training, he takes care of everything. My trainer is almost at the level of staying together. He watches over all my games and checks what goes well and what goes wrong. For example, if you seem to have poor endurance or struggle to fight well these days, we will reinforce related exercises.
– The secret to Ulsan’s 6 consecutive victories
Director Hong Myung-bo has a big influence on me. It’s a team with a lot of famous players, but you never want to play alone. He always wants team play and emphasizes sacrifice. Aren’t the players aware of that, so it’s going well?
– The claim is Jeong Seung-hyun. However, I think he will play a lot of roles as a veteran who knows Director Hong well.
I make a lot of requests to my younger players, “Look at the person next to you one more time,” “I want you to think that the person next to you is harder than me.” I tend to talk about it, which is something I always thought was important while playing soccer.
– Starting with the language you are using now, it is the exact opposite of what director Hong said. It’s ‘Hongjalal’. When you train, you will see a player who thinks, ‘It’s time for him to be called by the coach’.